How much is IPv6 actually being used in production, today? Well, a lot! Most of the major services (Google, Youtube, Facebook…) you use every day are IPv6-enabled, so if you are also connecting with IPv6, a lot of your internet traffic will be IPv6! Some of these have been enabled with World IPv6 Launch Day.
But what about the rest of the internet? There are several sources available, with different measuring methods, and we will list some of those here:
- APNIC IPv6 usage overview map: https://stats.labs.apnic.net/ipv6/
- APNIC IPv6 usage for Belgium: https://stats.labs.apnic.net/ipv6/BE
- IPv6 adoption as seen by Google https://www.google.com/intl/en/ipv6/statistics.html
- IPv6 adoption as seen by content provider Akamai https://www.akamai.com/us/en/resources/our-thinking/state-of-the-internet-report/state-of-the-internet-ipv6-adoption-visualization.jsp
- IPv6 adoption as seen by Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/ipv6/?tab=ipv6_country
- IPv6 adoption as seen by Cisco: https://6lab.cisco.com/stats/
- Eric Vyncke’s IPv6 status page: https://www.vyncke.org/ipv6status
As you can see when exploring these links, most of the time Belgium is at the top! This is in part thanks to enthusiasts from this group, and a healthy competition between the local Service Providers. Hopefully, soon all these metrics will show 100%, and we can finally disconnect IPv4… However, this process will take a while as this requires awareness, training, and equipment replacing.
If you are interested in understanding more about the differences between these statistics, have a look at this article from RIPE comparing some of these results and metrics: https://labs.ripe.net/author/wilhelm/ipv6-adoption-statistics-a-comparison-of-different-metrics/
Exchanging IPv6 deployment experiences and ideas to speed up this transition is exactly the idea behind the IPv6 council, we look forward to seeing you!
IPv4 / IPv6 visits to this page
The widget below displays your IPs along with a realtime measurement of the ratio of IPv4 vs. IPv6 visitors to this page.